wb grp

SEALDAH GRP

History

The original Main Station at Sealdah, designed by Mr Walter Glanville was built in 1869. The photograph was published as 1900’s post card, exact year and oth er detail unknown.

1857

Eastern Bengal Railway Company was registered in 1857 to establish railroad connection between Calcutta and Eastern part of undivided Bengal beyond Ganges(Padma). The first section was completed in January 1862 from Calcutta to Champahati. By May 1862 this extended to Port Canning. Ranaghat was connected in September 1862. Initially, the company was known as Eastern Bengal Guaranteed Railway and ran its trains on guaranteed lines. The guaranteed lines were constructed by companies formed in England, who raised their capital from their own shareholders under a guaranteed interest of 5 per cent, from the Government of India.

Steam locomotive of the Bengal & Assam RR in the yards by Sealdah Station.

1869

The original Main Station at Sealdah, designed by Mr Walter Glanville was built in 1869.Subsequently, as Calcutta spread, large areas southern part of 24 Parganas became suburbanised and it became necessary to provide these new areas with railway communication. The lines radiating to Diamond Harbour (once the main port), Laksmikantapur, Canning and Budge Budge were known as the south section.

Today

As of April, 2021, Sealdah Terminal handles 124 Mail/Exp, 34 Passenger & 921 EMU Trains and Kolkata Terminal handles 72 Mail/Exp, 04 Passenger & 31 EMU Trains (04 Spl EMU service due to closure of Tala Bridge) and it also linked with Circular Railway EMU service, Maitree Express & Bandhan Express running between India & Bangladesh.

banner
GOVERNMENT RAILWAY POLICE
Sealdah
History of Sealdah GRP

1857

Eastern Bengal Railway Company was registered in 1857 to establish railroad connection between Calcutta and Eastern part of undivided Bengal beyond Ganges(Padma). The first section was completed in January 1862 from Calcutta to Champahati. By May 1862 this extended to Port Canning. Ranaghat was connected in September 1862. Initially, the company was known as Eastern Bengal Guaranteed Railway and ran its trains on guaranteed lines. The guaranteed lines were constructed by companies formed in England, who raised their capital from their own shareholders under a guaranteed interest of 5 per cent, from the Government of India.

1869

The original Main Station at Sealdah, designed by Mr Walter Glanville was built in 1869.Subsequently, as Calcutta spread, large areas southern part of 24 Parganas became suburbanised and it became necessary to provide these new areas with railway communication. The lines radiating to Diamond Harbour (once the main port), Laksmikantapur, Canning and Budge Budge were known as the south section.

Today

As of April, 2021, Sealdah Terminal handles 124 Mail/Exp, 34 Passenger & 921 EMU Trains and Kolkata Terminal handles 72 Mail/Exp, 04 Passenger & 31 EMU Trains (04 Spl EMU service due to closure of Tala Bridge) and it also linked with Circular Railway EMU service, Maitree Express & Bandhan Express running between India & Bangladesh.

The original Main Station at Sealdah, designed by Mr Walter Glanville was built in 1869. The photograph was published as 1900’s post card, exact year and oth er detail unknown.

Steam locomotive of the Bengal & Assam RR in the yards by Sealdah Station.